Search This Blog

Monday, June 7, 2010

Learning to deal with Critiques

I sit in a full theatre and watch as one by one the competitors walk on stage and have their 3-5 minutes of fame, knowing all too well what their minds and bodies are doing under the stress of not only being watched, but critiqued and ranked.

It wasn't that long ago that I experienced that very feeling and the feelings of doubt and fear can only be counteracted by Practice, Preparation and Confidence.

It's a little longer though that I was doing this as a secondary student as many of the students I watched tonight were. The scary part for me is that I remember those moments like it was yesterday. I remember sitting next to friends backstage knowing that as soon as I stepped over the taped line on side stage it was game on and the best person on the day won. We would all then sit back and chill and laugh at the stupid things that we did at school or on the weekends.

I was lucky, I had and continue to have great support from my family and friends, especially my Mum and Dad. They were not like other parents who would berate their kids for making a mistake or cause a big fuss. They just sat there and enjoyed the fact that I was able to get up and provide entertainment for others and nearly always smile after it. For me it wasn't about the awards or accolades, they went to people that probably cared more than me, and for the most part I felt the judgements were fair. I do think it was for the most part, not all the time.

It's interesting that as a student I cared less about the competition and the rules as I do as a teacher. In fact, I believe that sometimes it's important to follow the letter of the law and sometimes discretion has to be used, but for the most part I thnk that sometimes the rules mean we miss the point.
It's all about caring about giving the students and competitors access to comments from a extremely qualified professional as well as a stage to learn the craft of performance. As a parent it's important to encourage and foster the skills that bring out the positive confidence but also humbleness. It's not about living in your childs spotlight but letting the child find there own to turn on and shine.

I had many memories come back to me tonight. Some brought a little smile and some a silent chuckle but those moments shaped me as a performer today and to some that's an awesome thing. To me, it's just having a good time in the presence of others. If it's you that's been there with me. Thank You!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Some great insights there Don. I couldn't help but think of the need always for some encouragement as people do the best they can. How for some it comes natural to do this stuff (perform) and for others it takes a great deal of effort. Likewise there is nothing like being honest and constructive in our assesment. Keep up the good work mate and be true to yourself (who God has made you to BE.)

    ReplyDelete