Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Week 2 YLC thought 2017

"Set your Goals high, and don't stop till you get there! Bo Jackson. Welcome to your second thought for 2017. Most of you probably know by now that I love goals and achieving them. On Sunday afternoon, I met with one of my two mentors. 
We spoke about the challenges and joys of dealing with teenagers everyday, the experiences that sometimes can make us forget about how cool it is to be able to live in a world where technology and community allow us to share our experiences in real time and most of all, how challenging it can be to set good goals. We chatted for 6 hours!!! His last comment is something I want to share with you all as I find myself saying the same thing when I share about my students. "I am proud of you because you are trying to be better everyday." The first 5 words really hit you when you hear them from someone you respect. I remember the first time I heard my parents say it to me.. It made me sit up straight and feel on top of the world. You may never hear it if you expect to hear it though. It's much like Goals. You have to set them high and push through all of the rejection, pain, frustration and wanting to give up. When you get there (and you will) you might be like Bo Jackson. Dual all star in both NFL (Gridiron) and MLB (Baseball). His football career included four seasons in the NFL. Jackson rushed for 2,782 yards and 16 touchdowns with an average yards per carry of 5.4. He also caught 40 passes for 352 yards and two touchdowns. Jackson's 221 yards on November 30, 1987, just 29 days after his first NFL carry, is still a Monday Night Football record. After a career ending Hip injury he returned to Baseball for the White Sox. Here's some baseball achievements AL All-Star (1989) 1989 All-Star Game MVP 1993 AL Comeback Player of the Year Award 20-Home Run Seasons: 4 (19871990) 30-Home Run Seasons: 1 (1989) 100 RBI Seasons: 1 (1989) Why do you set goals high? They are not meant to be easy! They are challenges and for all of you, it is time to step up to the plate and smash a home run in whatever you choose to aim for. Injury didn't stop Bo Jackson. His attitude might of though if it wasn't for chasing after what he set out to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment