Search This Blog

Friday, April 2, 2010

Redeemer – New Easter Song written Tuesday

Have you ever had one of those moments where time suddenly shows you that as fast paced and turbulent that you life is, there is always one point that you can think of that changes your whole life forever.

Many years ago I stood up and walked to the front of the church to commit myself to the Lord. Little did I know when I did this that my life would send me on the journey that it did. I have had so many highs and lows but one thing has shone through these times God's Presence. 

As a songwriter, I can't shut off my mind from what is around me, and sometimes I take for granted the abilities in which God has given me.

The other night it was very late, which to be honest is not unusual for me, but I had finally got to the point in my night that I thought sleep might be a good option. As I settled into my pre-sleep routines, God spoke into my mind the words "I wrote down your name, you were blind but now you see". 

I hadn't quite got around to shutting my laptop computer down and had been working on some scores for a show I'm working on, so I thought I might just Facebook and journal that thought and shut it down. I was challenged though by a flow of words. I bypassed Facebook and opened my composition program up instead. From that single thought came this song. 

Through one thought, God gave me a song for both performing and a song that I can sing in my heart. If God is able to do this through a thought, what could he do through a simple cross?

I pray that you'll consider that thought as you read these lyrics:

Redeemer

Composer: Donald R Mayne

1.

You were sent to earth,

God's Precious gift of love.

In a stable born.

A manger for a bed.

God sent you to this earth,

to save a wretch like me.

and on the cross at Calvary,

Your Blood it set me free.

Chorus:

On the cross, as I stared,

you took my sin and shame,

as you wrote down my name.

As I knelt at the foot of the cross.

You died upon that tree.

As I bowed my head and heard your voice.

was blind but now I see.

2.

From above you came,

in heav' n you still reign.

King of kings we say.

The Lord of Lords we pray.

But I know when I sin,

I'm saved with Grace and love.

I've come to know the Father,

through Jesus Christ his Son.

 
 

© 2010 Donald Mayne APRA/AMCOS

No comments:

Post a Comment